One of the most dynamically developing companies on the Polish courier service market, with a market participation reaching 20%. The company owes its high position to the process of constant improvements in customer service, delivery quality and organisational efficiency. In 2014, Siódemka S.A. was acquired by DPD. The value of the transaction was estimated at 140 million EUR*.
*Puls Biznesu Magazine, 2014
Project background – circumstances of implementation
Between 2003 and 2015, Alfa Projekt was a strategic supplier of IT solutions for Siódemka S.A. In this period, Alfa Projekt implemented a complex IT system in the Client organisation, built from the ground up and covering the functional scope of all business areas of the organisation: logistics, operations and finances. The system was the subject of constant development; it was systematically equipped with new solutions, in answer to the changes in market and competition circumstances, new Client demands, as well as changes in the company strategy.
Functional scope of implementation
Cooperation between Alfa Projekt and Siódemka S.A. was a strategic partnership, based on a strict SLA. Due to the high amount of simultaneously implemented projects of various levels of complexity, concerning different business areas of the Client’s organization, as well as the constant process of maintaining the constantly developing system, in order to optimize the project communication processes, the partners decided to designate a dedicated unit in their organizational structure – a project department, responsible for the implementation of designated tasks in the next stages of cooperation. Each project was led by a dedicated Project Manager, selected from both organisations, which allowed for the improvement of the quality of information flow, timely implementation and selection of the most appropriate project methodology, dependent on the complexity of the project.
Most important implementations:
2007 – We launched Siódemka’s first online application, which connected our system directly to the end user – the Sender. Thanks to the application, the sender could efficiently transmit all information about the delivery order to the dispatching centre system, where they shown in real time, allowing for efficient verification of the feasibility of the order and handing out work orders to the couriers working in the field.
2008 – Working together with the Client, we designed and implemented a comprehensive billing module, which enabled efficient settlement of proceeds from COD shipments. The settlement allowed for clearing of obligations and efficient return of fund to the sender’s account, guaranteeing data security and complete transparency of operations. The module was also designed to operate services in which a third party existed in the process – the Customer (in addition to the sender and recipient of the package). Implementation of this solution allowed the company to increase market competitiveness, because it offered Client an unprecedented standard of service in COD services, relevant to large-scale operations. For the company, the implementation also meant a new perspective of financial management of the organisation.
2008 – We designed and implemented Siódemka’s first class BI system – the Data Warehouse – equipped with reporting interfaces with wide configuration possibilities. The data warehouse, as a central repository of information about every process taking place in the organisation, made it possible – through advanced filters in the BI panel available to managers – to access analytical data in the form of defined reports, indicating the relationship between various process parameters. Quick access to analytical data significantly improved the management of the company and allowed in retrospect for a rise in the strategic indicators of development of the organisation, thanks to the ability to analyse the impact on the effectiveness of the process by factors seemingly unrelated to it.The BI solution implemented by Alfa in the Client’s systems enabled the Client to base the development strategy of the company based on the Balanced Score Card.
2009 – We designed and launched the first application for mobile devices that the couriers were equipped with as part of the project. The devices facilitated communication with the company’s central system in real time, which opened up new possibilities in the field of courier team work optimisation. Data received by the central system in this way could be analysed and interpreted live, which created opportunities for building an early warning system, such as in the range of non-implementation of the plan or a risk of delayed realisation of priority orders. The lack of delays in receiving data created opportunities for the operators to make the necessary organisational changes that reduced the risk of failure. The effect of the implementation of this solution was a significant increase in the operational productivity of courier teams, which resulted in a change in the form of a higher volume of services performed efficiently.
2012 – Implementing a new market strategy, Siódemka launched a service offer for a new Client group – business owners from the SME sector and e-commerce. As a partner in providing IT solutions, Alfa Projekt implemented a series of parallel projects for the company, focused on adapting the existing IT system to new expectations related to new business requirements, resulting from the specifics of the new target group of the company.
These projects concerned such areas as:
- New forms of acquiring Customer – a completely new target group, most often entrepreneurs with online businesses (e-commerce), hence the Internet became a natural environment for the distribution of the commercial offer, and Customer acquisition processes were associated with the need to integrate online campaign reporting systems with the internal reporting system of the company, or in the case of large mailing campaigns – with communication reports with the CRM system (tracking contact history and selection of content based on user behaviour observed to date)
- New standards of services – related to other expectations of the new target group, among which are: improving buyer-seller communication (e.g.: a useful mobile application with a service status notification system)
- New forms of payment – elastic settlement models for ordered services, dedicated e-commerce, such as subscriptions or pre-paid payments. Existing web applications offered by the company to its Customers were extended with modules for new forms of settlement, which was connected with the need to adapt the accounting, reporting and debt collection systems.
Among the projects implemented are:
- Comprehensive implementation of a new order platform online, dedicated to individual Customers (7 Internet Shipping), which, after a quick online registration, allowed users to perform all functions related to the preparation of the shipment on a browser level, full control over the order (locations of multiple packages and an alert system), or settlement (according to a selected model: FVAT payments online, topping up the pre-paid account, subscription fee payments)
- Implementation of a solution that allows Customers to send and receive shipments at shipping-receiving network points (Service Point). This was connected with the launch of new service pricing and support for a new logistical process, in which there were no existing statuses such as Order or Courier Pick-up
- Implementation of a Mobile Courier System and connecting it to over 2,300 courier devices, in order to increase the work effectiveness of courier teams with a growing number of individual orders for pick-up from various locations.